Monday, March 25, 2013

Student-Athletes


Earlier last week I read an article in the Red and Black that was a response to a column written by a student at the University of Illinois newspaper. As I read the article, Student Athletes: The Kings and Queens of campus I couldn't help but notice my blood begin to boil.

"I front a small fee for an iBook. Her student athlete school supplies are free. Not only do they get blue and orange gear free of charge, which includes those trademark Nike tracksuits and backpacks, but student athletes are also privy to tutoring services that the rest of us standard, non-athletic-scholarship students have to go out of our way for or otherwise not have"

I am not a student-athlete at the University of Illinois, but I can speak on behalf of the student athletes at the University of Georgia; and I would never venture to say that those "free" supplies came at no cost. The 16 years of pouring myself into my sport for 30-40 hours of training 6 days a week is just one of the prices I paid for "free gear and books." Many would consider it to be as demanding as a full-time job, but a job that I had to pay to work. My parents pre-paid for schooling with medical bills, gym tuition, traveling expenses, coaches’ fees and 16 years of uniforms and supplies. While I was making a relentless commitment to a goal while sacrificing my body, my social life, and a normal education, you "never finished the mile" and "always dropped out around a third of the way to puke or pass out — whichever came first."

"...had I hit my fitness stride just a few years earlier, maybe I could be getting more out of this University." Maybe you're right, who knows, but what separates you and me is that I didn't quit, nor was I scared of a little hard work at a young age. I was willing to push myself beyond average, and I strived to attain a level that most couldn't cut it at.

One would think that while student athletes are focusing and dedicating a majority of their time to sports (both before and during college), that the "plain, non-athlete students" would have more time to pour themselves into school and their studies. If non-student athletes were putting in the same amount of time studying as student-athletes were practicing and playing on a weekly basis, It would probably be safe to assume that they wouldn't even need tutors. I think that non-student athletes have a "leg up" on athletes because they have the opportunity to be in class every day (not missing one to three days a week traveling and competing), they have the freedom to choose when and where they study, they can make it to teacher office hours (because they aren't in the middle of practice), and they can easily meet with their groups just about whenever (instead of doing so after finishing mandatory practice and tutor sessions at 9:00 p.m).

Now I will be honest and admit that there are student-athletes who take advantage of the system or "milk" it, just as there are people who take advantage of and milk any system put in place. But the majority of student-athletes really are applying themselves in all aspects of their lives, on and off the field/court/floor, and most aren't planning on going professional in their sport. I am a double major in marketing and finance while competing on a top-five-ranked team. For those who do abuse the system, we all suffer the consequences to some degree. There are as many teachers who don't like athletes as there are teachers who do like athletes. We all have to overcome the stigma that we are "dumb jocks and, as a result, have to work twice as hard to prove that we aren't. We have class checkers who sit outside our class and report to our coach if we are even one minute late. Those "mandatory hours" of studying apply to all of us because some slack off, and we all pay the price when it’s the last thing we want to do, usually because the entire day had already been spent doing "mandatory" practice and other meetings of that nature.

To whom much is given, much more is expected. Student athletes are blessed to have so many tools and opportunities at their disposal, but sometimes it’s nearly impossible to find time to actually take advantage of these gifts which can turn into a burden. A student athlete could have all the tutors in the world (which they are absolutely required to attend once they have requested them), but they will only get out of it what they put in. A tutor can't do your work, they can't make you smarter, they can't make you pay attention, and they can't take your test for you. They are simply a tool that a student-athlete has earned the right to utilize.
While many regular students miss class because they partied the night before, we hate having to miss class to travel. While students go home and spend time with their families over the holiday break, we put in extra hours on campus gearing up for season. While most students get crazy on spring break, student athletes are competing and bringing $92,739,215 of revenue into the university that benefits all students of the university.

For the record, during my four years at UGA, not once did any "professors, instructors or TAs take the initiative to seek me out for extra help."

Being a student-athlete is a privilege that was earned, and has to continuously be earned on a regular basis, because it is a privilege that can quickly be stripped from you. If it were easy, everyone would do it, and it wouldn't be so special.

So please, continue to "strive for excellence" because I am not stopping you from going the extra mile.  If anything, the odds are much more stacked against me to succeed in the classroom than they are you. But one thing I have learned through sports is that a "what’s the point?" envious attitude will get you nothing better than average. I hope the next time you purchase a planner, you are reminded of the price some have had the privilege to pay for that same planner. 


1 comment:

  1. Before I came to UGA I never gave much thought about student athletes and their everyday life. I have always knew to some degree the amount of time/work and dedication that these students give up. I mean yea sure they love their sport and to have the chance to play for UGA I am sure is a great feeling. But these athletes bring so much more to the table than I think most people realize. They bring a massive fan and support base to the school and help gain worldwide recognition. And people complain about how they may get some gear or some free supplies. Let’s see if they want to go out there on that field, mat, ring, or court and be judged by millions of people. I couldn’t imagine how difficult it must be to not only play at the college level but also have to dedicate so much time to your sport. Without sports and the atheltes who knows where this college would be.

    ReplyDelete